Practical Name: Perform using following web site (http://phet.colarado.edu)
Tools/Software: Computer with Internet Connection and Browser like Mozilla, Chrome, etc.
Description/Theory: PhET provides fun, free, interactive, research-based science and mathematics simulations. We extensively test and evaluate each simulation to ensure educational effectiveness. These tests include student interviews and observation of simulation use in classrooms. The simulations are written in Java, Flash or HTML5, and can be run online or downloaded to your computer. All simulations are open. Multiple sponsors support the PhET project, enabling these resources to be free to all students and teachers.
1) Start the Browser like Mozilla or Chrome.
2) Type in the address bar http://phet.colarado.edu
3) Click on "Play with Simulations" button.
4) Select a subject or grade/device category to display simulation list in the page:
e. Earth Science
f. By Grade Level
g. By Device
5) A list of simulation for the option selected will be displayed. Choose a simulation from the list and click on Play button icon to play the simulation in a new window.
6) Several tools in the simulations provide an interactive experience:
· Click and drag to interact with simulation features
· Use sliders to increase and decrease parameters
· Choose between options with radio buttons
· Make measurements in your experiments with various instruments – rulers, stop-watches, voltmeters, and thermometers.
7) You can also download a simulation or get the embed code for inserting it into your website.
8) Similarly go to Teaching Resources option and select browse activities link. You will get a list of all the simulations where we can choose topic wise, type and grade level of the simulation.
9) When finished, click on the Close button on the browser window's title bar.
Result: The simulations provided by PhET encourages scientific inquiry, provide interactivity, make the invisible visible, show visual mental models.