SSC BOARD EXAM ICT - Lesson No. 4 ICT in Day to Day Life
Fill in the blanks/MCQ
1) ICT has become a powerful tool in the fight against poverty.
2) ICT is providing developing countries with an unprecedented opportunity to meet vital development goals.
3) IBT stands for Inter Branch Transactions.
4) ICT is used in industry to supply chain management.
5) Electronic commerce is commonly known as E-commerce.
6) Online shopping involves E-commerce.
7) The use of ICT in classrooms is changing the role of students to active participants.
8) Remedial teaching means providing special learning activities and training programs for weak students.
9) Electronic commerce is generally considered to be the sales aspect of e-business.
10) E-governance uses ICT to work as a bridge between government and citizens.
11) People choose online communication rather than real-time conversations.
12) Computer, Networking and RTGS form the backbone of the banking system.
13) Modern electronic commerce typically uses the World Wide Web.
14) RTGS stands for Real-time Gross System.
MCQ (Two Answers)
1) ICT can be used at both school and higher education levels for evaluation and remedial teaching.
2) In the education sector, students and administrators benefit from the use of ICTs.
3) Using, ICT Bank administrators can monitor, entire banking activities such as RTGS and NEFT.
4) To carry out electronic transactions debit and credit cards are used.
5) Facebook and Orkut are popular discussion groups.
6) Health problems due to frequent long sessions on computer are eye strain and bad posture.
7) Computer and Internet/Network are the backbone of the banking system.
8) Orkut and Google groups are the online discussion groups.
9) PowerPoint presentations with sound and animations enhance the topic presented.
10) Challenges of ICT in education are cognitive development and problem based learning.
11) Due to ICT, people are tending to become more individualistic and introvert.
True or False
1) ICT is one of the development pillars to gain national competitive advantage. True
2) ICT cannot be used in evaluation process. False
3) A virtual laboratory can provide students with lot of freedom. True
4) Online tutoring uses VSAT. True
5) Computer networking and the Internet are the backbones of the banking system. True
6) RTGS stands for Real-time Gross System. True
7) NEFT stands for National Electronic Funds Transfer. True
8) E-commerce makes buying and selling activities slower. False
9) Higher bandwidth has made high speed broadband connectivity possible. True
10) Facebook is a popular discussion group on the Internet. True
11) There are no negative impacts of ICT on society or individual. False
12) A computer cannot harm users if they use it for long hours frequently. False
1. Explain Social problems with ICT.
There are some negative effects of ICT especially in Social Networking applications.
· People, especially the youth today find it easier to communicate online than in face-to-face interactions.
People become more individualistic and introvert.
· ICT exposes people to frauds and identity theft through hacking, phishing and malwares.
Cyber-bullying is one of the problems prevalent on Social Networking Sites.
· Highly offensive websites and those containing illegal material can adversely affect the young and unprepared minds, and result in moral deterioration of the society.
· One may invade person's privacy by personal, confidential details stored on sites
2. What are the advantages of e-Commerce?
E-Commerce has several advantages over traditional ways of conducting business.
Lower cost: Since costs related to advertising, storage and Showrooms are reduced the product now costs less. This benefit can be passed on to the buyer.
Customer Service: As the transaction is done online, the other aspects such as After Sales Service can also be handled conveniently using the Internet. This further reduces the cost and also quickens the process.
Comparison Shopping: Since the product is purchased online, it is easy for the buyer to make a quick comparison and find the best product that satisfies his needs.
No requirement of the middle man: All stages in the buying and selling processes are handled directly between the manufacturer and the buyer. The elimination of the middle man and the resulting cost benefits is one of the important advantages of e-Commerce.
Information Sharing and Control: Since there is a direct interaction between the manufacturer and the user, the information is shared quickly. The seller is available 24X7. Customers do not face problems of crowds or traffic jams and do not have to carry heavy bags.
3. What is the impact of ICT in our Daily life?
The increased use of ICT in Our daily lives has had many benefits and also created some problems.
The use of ICT has greatly increased the speed of communication, besides making it cheaper and more reliable. News or messages can be instantly sent between friends or to conduct business transactions.
The use of ICT makes the sharing of information more effective and quicker. The use of forums, blogs, discussion groups and mailing lists makes sharing of information easy for everyone.
Electronic Communication makes the transmission and storage of documents easy. This paperless environment eliminates the need for physical storage of documents.
The use of ICT for online communication and social networking has made some people more introvert and individualistic. Cyber Bullying is also a major concern especially for young children.
Cyber crimes like e-frauds and identity theft is also increasing.
Health problems such as headaches, eye strain, neck, hands and back pain resulting from long hours spent in front of the Computer and bad posture is also on the rise.
4. How can ICT be used in Social Network, friends and family events?
High speed broadband Internet connectivity is possible because of higher bandwidth and is also now affordable.
Any type of information can be sent to friends, relatives and business partners via several modes like e-mail, instant messenger, or even via some social networking site using computer and mobile phones. This information can be easily shared and thus a wider audience is reached in a short space of time.
5. How can ICT be used in the Education System?
The use of ICT in the field of Education has made the learning process more enjoyable both for the students as well as the teachers. Audio visual presentations, computer animations and simulations allow students to experience the topics under discussion more meaningfully. School administrators also use ICT to make their work easier. Besides this ICT plays a special role in the following areas.
Evaluation. Online testing has now become easier as Multiple choice questions, True or False, Fill in the blanks and Match the following type questions can be easily done by students with Evaluation being done by the Computers. This makes the process of evaluation and testing virtually error –free.
Remedial Teaching. Today our society is increasingly focused on the special needs of students who are slow learners. Teaching such children can be very time consuming and a strain on the teaching resources. The use of Computers, along with special programs and software has resulted in the benefits of ICT being available for Remedial Teaching also.
Virtual Laboratories. The development of Computer Based Virtual Laboratories eliminates the need for costly laboratory equipment. Virtual Laboratories also make the learning process safe.
On-line Tutoring Online tutoring is a great boon for those who are unable to go to a formal school. In this system, there is usually a one-to-one interaction between the student and the teacher over a high-speed Internet connection. The teacher uses a smart board or a PowerPoint presentation to answer questions posed by the student.
Developing Instructional Material. Many teachers have specialized in certain areas. By preparing videos, presentations and other instructional material, students from far away places or even other teachers can benefit from these experts.
6. How is ICT used in the banking sector and in industry?
Banking: The extensive use of Computers in the Banking Sector has transformed the way Banks operate. Computers are today routinely used to print passbooks, Account Statements, or issue receipts. Almost all banks today have an online banking facility which allows customers to conduct their banking activities 24X7. The use of ATMs linked to the banks computers also helps in the smooth functioning of the banks.
Obtaining loans either for personal use or even by businesses has now become easier. Systems such as Electronic Clearing Service (ECS), National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) and Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) allows large amounts of money to be quickly transferred from one account to another without errors.
Industry ICT is used in all stages in Industry, right from planning, product design, production, and inventory. The use of ICT in Industry benefits the workers, managers and also the administrators. Workers use Computer controlled systems during production as well as quality control. Dangerous or routine jobs in industry are handled by robots which are controlled by Computers. Researchers and Administrators analyze data from the factories and also from the Market and come up with ways to improve the profitability of the industry.
7. Write short note on ICT and health.
Since one of the most important components of ICT is the Computer, most of the health risks of ICT are related to improper use of Computers.
Frequent use of the Computer results in bad eyesight, neck and back pain, and general fatigue. Repetitive Stress Injuries like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome cause problems in the hands, wrists and arms. This can be very painful at times.
Headaches, high blood pressure and obesity can also result from overuse of Computers.
Most of the above problems can be remedied by adopting a correct posture while working on computers. Taking regular breaks and looking away from the computer screen at regular intervals prevents eyestrain. Increasing the size of the text on the screen and sitting at the correct distance from the Monitor also helps to prevent problems.
8. How can information be share and updated with the use of ICT.
With the use of ICT, information and news can be shared by people all around the world. People can share and update news and information through discussion groups, mailing lists and forums on the Internet. Besides computers, high speed broadband Internet connectivity is also available on mobile phones. With the Internet, information can be accessed and retrieved from anywhere and at any time.